Thursday, November 22, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

As Thanksgiving is a holiday known to involve a lot of eating, I thought that I would make one of my favourite soups, Butternut Squash AWESOMENESS. I don't eat Turkey, I live by myself, and I don't generally do the traditional thing anyway. But I love a good soup and I thought today was the perfect day to make this one.

This is a soup that you can make differently each time you prepare it. Change up your spices, add potato or kale to it - whatever you want. I just follow the basics of the soup (squash, broth, onions) and then improvise from there. So I'll list everything I put in it today and then you can change it for yourself or follow what I did. Either way I'm sure it will be delicious. So here we go!

Ingredients:


  • 1 large Squash
  • 1/2 an onion
  • baby carrots (1 cup give or take)
  • 2 cups veggie broth
  • 1-1.5 cups of water
  • Olive oil (1-2 tablespoons(
  • Garlic Salt
  • Cayenne Pepper/Paprika (whichever you like better)
  • Ground Cloves
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Nutmeg (BEST PART!)
Directions:

  • Using medium-high heat start the onions and olive oil in a pan cooking until they become slightly translucent. 
  • Add the carrots and cook around with the onions for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add the squash with 2/3 of your spices (which you mix together first) and cook for 10 minutes.
  • *If you have a deep enough pan you can skip this step but I don't* Switch over to a pot with a small drop of olive oil so nothing sticks. 
  • Add your water and broth (start with 1 cup of water and add more if necessary). 
  • Cover and let cook for 40-45 minutes or until the squash has softened completely. 
  • After cooked blend the soup in a blender or food processor (I like the blender) so you get the smooth consistency. *You want to make sure you do this in stages (thirds perhaps) so your blender doesn't get overwhelmed and everything smooths out properly*
  • Return to the pot and let cook for a few more minutes just to re-heat post blending. *If you choose to add some cream, now is the time to do it*
  • Serve and enjoy!!!
This soup really is delicious and has become a real favourite of mine. It freezes wonderfully and you can always increase this batch without forfeiting any of the flavour. It doesn't do anything to it to double it. Right now the recipe gives you between 4-6 regular soup bowls.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Like I said...AWESOME!!!!!

No comments: